Saturday 14 May 2011

Detangling your child's curly hair to avoid breakage and tears!





Most of the Tips, I will discuss on this blog are what I do to maintain my daughter H's thick curly frizzy hair.


OK, so its hair wash day...and you are getting ready for the usual tears and tantrums that follow when you go through this routine with your little girl/boy, these are my tips for making that process,

1) Less stressful for you, 
2) Less stressful for your child and 
3) Healthier for the head of hair you will be dealing with!





I detangle this hair before water touches it!!

Tools needed!

  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil- adds slip (ease of detangling ability!)
  • Tresemme Natural Conditioner ( Adds More Slip for detangling)
  • Shower comb or Afro comb- (great for thick or delicate kinky coili curly hair types!
  • Fingers- these are the tools you will use to ease out those knots prior to combing!
  • Snag free hair bands or butterfly clips ( hold each section in place)
  • DVD- for child to watch, or DS, DSi whatever will keep them occupied!
  • PATIENCE!  textured hair must not be rushed, or it will snap and break!











          




        What I Do:


        • I will part the hair in 4 sections carefully and braid it lightly ( 4 Plaits) or use the hair bands!
        • Apply a mix of olive oil and conditioner to each section- generously!
        • Starting at the bottom of each plait I will use my hands to gently detangle the hair (Take time!)
        • Once I am happy that the large knots are out, I will then use the shower comb on each section, taking my time and work upwards.
        • I have found  that 'H' (my daughter 5 years old) never cries with this process, we do not lose unnecessary amounts of hair either and her hair untangles easilyish!
        • Sometimes I will use a fine tooth comb to remove fluff very slowly!

        Never:


        • Pull the hair straight through comb
        • Bruch through a tangle or knot
        • try to untangle when the hair is dry, only when covered with conditioner, you need the slip!
        • Never pull hait apart like a wish bone, knots will tighten and hair will snap!
        • Shampoo or wash hair that has not been fully detangled, it will lead to matting and more knotting
        • Never try to wash textured  hair in a rush- you will get breakage!



        Hope that has helped someone today!

        Please leave your COMMENT's and question's below, and pass on the information to help someone else!


        Please subscribe to keep updated with the tips and tutorials!  add your email to the follow me box on the right at the top!


        NEXT POST:  BLOW-DRYING or air drying to grow healthier LONGER textured hair!!

        Blessings,

        4 comments:

        1. How often should you wash or co wash your daughter hair???

          ReplyDelete
        2. I wash probably 1 x a week, DC every Saturday or Friday,

          I co-wash whenever her hair feels a little dry, sometimes I just co-wash the ends of her hair when she is showering for school! maybe twice a week, more in the summer.

          ReplyDelete
        3. My niece has knots... not tangles.... big KNOTS!!!! Do I use the same technique to get them out???? Plz help

          ReplyDelete
        4. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!
          hair salon services

          ReplyDelete